Monday, January 01, 2007

Checking in

In all honesty it's probably going to be a while before I update again. I will try my best so that it won't be this way, but as Cory Barlog's blog let the world know - we hit beta. Which means the next 2 months are going to be 2 of the most important months as we try to polish EVERYTHING and make it fun. Lets hope in 2 months we are all still alive and that videogame magic has once again returned to Sony Santa Monica.

Over the holiday break I thought I would play a ton of games. That really didn't happen. Although I played 2 really great games. The first being Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. I played it on the plane going back home to Indianapolis then played it there while adjusting to the time change - aka being up at 4 a.m. when no one else was. Castlevania at this point has become Cheese Pizza for me. It's completely and utterly my comfort food. I know exactly what I'm getting when a new one comes out, I know it's going to be good - sometimes even fantastic but most important I know it won't be terrible. As I sit there playing I'm always amazed by how much love goes into these games and the latest did not disappoint. I'd say it's better than Dawn of Sorrow but not as good as Aria of Sorrow (which to me was the best GBA version).

I also got a chance to play Rhythm Tengoku - a Japanese import of a GBA game, yup a gba game. I'm almost willing to call this my favorite game of 2006 and thats not a joke.

I *think* it's made by the same team that made Wario Ware. I really suck at keeping track of which internal Nintendo team makes which game. Paging Omar as I'm sure he will know.

Basically imagine the art style of Wario Ware but instead of playing a one second micro-game you instead push the A button based on the rhythm of the song that is being played. Of course what they have you pressing the A button to is absolutely insane and half the fun.



2006 was amazing for rhythm games - Elite Beat Agents, Guitar Hero 2 to a certain extent and now Rhythm Tengoku. Hopefully 2007 will be just as exciting.

I was hoping to finish up Zelda but I didn't touch it at all. Instead I just played a ton of SF with Peter, James, Vic, Eric and Maj which was far more therapeutic.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A little late, but Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Beta Version!

Looking forward to the magic that is God of War 2! Long Live the PS2!

omar kendall said...

It's tough to tell exactly who makes what over there at Nintendo internal, but both Rhythm Tengoku and WarioWare are attributed to good ol' Nintendo R&D #1.

Ryan J. Downey said...

Happy New Year my friend! Love your blog.